DARKMATTERS - The Mind of Matt

You met me at a very strange time in my life...

Read my novel: Complete Darkness

Listen to the PODCAST I co-host: Hosts in the Shell

Monday, April 17, 2006

Film Review: 3-IRON / Bin-jip



3-IRON / Bin-jip (15)
Dir. Ki-Duk Kim

Reviewed by Matt Adcock

You’re reading this review online, I know this for a fact because…

I’m standing behind you…

Try as you might you won’t see me but you might just feel my presence…

I’m a young drifter; I enter strangers' houses - and lives – normally whilst the owners are away. I often spend a night or a day in the house but I do try to repay my unwitting host by doing some laundry or repair a broken household item or two…

I might be in your house now but I’m not alone that’s because my life has changed… I met this beautiful woman in an affluent mansion who was looking to escape her unhappy, abusive marriage (her name might have been Gill, but I’ll never know)…

Don’t worry, I’m not here to steal anything, my ghost-like haunting of these homes have been joined by this wonderful woman, she’s here too by the way…

Sorry about that – got a bit carried away there, but the whole ‘being invisible by moving silently and learning to avoid detection even when kissing someone else’s wife (whilst they are hugging!)’ is a rush to watch…

3-IRON has been described as “pure poetry in film: a visual, aural and atmospheric treat unlike anything you've ever seen, a great existential love affair painted with subtlety (and occasional burst of violence) by one of the greatest masters of world cinema working today.”

The main character in the film doesn't say a word for the entire 90 minutes but manages to convey a fantastic sense of charisma and will have you on-side before long. This Korean love story even won over my wife and she’s not a fan of Korean filmmaking in general.

I’d highly recommend this to all – it even made the exclusive Chris Curtis’ top 10 films of 2005 list – see his review here: http://chriscurtis.typepad.com/weblog/2005/07/3iron_kiduk_kim.html

Darkmatt Rating: ööööö (excellent - a film everyone should experience)


"say cheese"

Darkmatters: H O ME

2 comments:

Tom Wade said...

Ahem - it made my 2005 top ten too...

I look forward to next saturday Mr Adcock - the race for 4th is well and truely on!!

And dont u think its great to have Matt back in the Herald?!

Anonymous said...

Have you seen any of his other films? ?How does it compare to Samaritan Girl?